Thought History of Unity in Rockport
In 1976, ordained Unity Minister, Rev. Karl Reims, who was leading a Unity group in Corpus Christi, pioneered the Unity Movement in Rockport, Texas holding evening services in a carpet store. After many moves in rented spaces, a building was purchased in 1994 on N. Ann Street by the Center of Positive Thought. Adding a Sunday School room for the children who had been meeting in the garden under the trees and a large kitchen, Unity in Rockport was growing.
When a neighboring church became available, Unity in Rockport purchased 1119 N. Pearl Street with larger sanctuary and Fellowship Hall in December 2015.
Reverend Farolyn Mann from Unity in Houston was hired to start September 1, 2017. Hurricane Harvey hit Rockport and Houston August 25, 2017. Rev. Farolyn was rescued by boat in the middle of the night as the house in Houston was being flooded. She arrived in Rockport with a few belongings to a church that needed to be rebuilt. After two years of hard work and generous donations from congregants, Unity Churches around the country and many friends, the Sanctuary is almost finished. The congregation is looking forward to celebrating the Grand Re-Opening and hope you will join us for the celebration.
Introduction to New Thought
Charles Fillmore married Myrtle Page in Clinton, Missouri, on March 29, 1881, and the newlyweds moved to Pueblo, Colorado, where Charles established a real estate business with the brother-in-law of Nona Lovell Brooks, who was later to found the Church of Divine Science.
After the births of their first two sons, Lowell Page and Waldo Rickert Fillmore, the family moved to Kansas City, Missouri. Two years later, in 1886, Charles and Myrtle attended New Thought classes held by Dr. E. B. Weeks. Myrtle subsequently recovered from chronic tuberculosis and attributed her recovery to her use of prayer and other methods learned in Weeks' classes. Subsequently Charles began to heal from his childhood accident, a development that he, too, attributed to following this philosophy. Charles Fillmore became a devoted student of philosophy and religion.
A Growing Movement
In 1889, Charles left his business to focus entirely on publishing a new periodical, Modern Thought. In 1890 they organized a prayer group that would later be called "Silent Unity" and in the following year, the Fillmore's Unity magazine was first published. On December 7, 1892, Charles and Myrtle penned their Dedication and Covenant.
We, Charles Fillmore and Myrtle Fillmore, husband and wife, hereby dedicate ourselves, our time, our money, all we have and all we expect to have, to the Spirit of Truth, and through it, to the Society of Silent Unity.
It being understood and agreed that the said Spirit of Truth shall render unto us an equivalent for this dedication, in peace of mind, health of body, wisdom, understanding, love, life and an abundant supply of all things necessary to meet every want without our making any of these things the object of our existence.
In the presence of the Conscious Mind of Christ Jesus, this 7th day of December A.D. 1892.
Dr. H. Emilie Cady published a series titled Lessons in Truth in the new magazine. This material later was compiled and published in a book by the same name, which served as a seminal work of the Unity movement. Although Charles had no intention of making Unity into a denomination, his students wanted a more organized group. He and his wife were among the first ordained Unity ministers in 1906. Charles and Myrtle Fillmore first operated the Unity organization from a campus near downtown Kansas City. Unity began a formal program for training ministers in 1931.
Myrtle Fillmore died in 1931. Charles remarried in 1933 to Cora G. Dedrick who was a collaborator on his later writings. Charles Fillmore made his transition in 1948.